Virtual Prenatal Classes
NEW! Virtual Labour and Birth, Postpartum, Cesarean Birth and Breastfeeding Classes are now available. Learn from the comfort of your own home!
The goal of prenatal classes is to provide you with the knowledge and confidence you need to give birth and make informed decisions regarding your care, and ultimately have a healthy mother and baby. Your support person will also benefit from knowing what to expect when the mother goes into labour and how to assist in that process. Postpartum classes focus on feeding and caring for your baby in the first few weeks. We have also added a new virtual breastfeeding workshop, and our most recent addition is a workshop on cesarean birth.
Our instructors are registered maternity nurses from St Paul’s Hospital and are familiar with the hospital protocols. Our curriculum and content have been developed and tailored in partnership with our expert clinicians at St. Paul's Hospital.
Our new virtual classes are individualized one-on-one sessions or small group sessions (maximum three couples) delivered through the Zoom platform. From $80 for the small group sessions, up to $180 for a private one-on-one session, our nurses are also available for Mandarin or Cantonese classes. The content is designed for expectant moms registered to deliver at St. Paul's, but are open to all.
We recommend that you register for a class that is between four to six weeks from your due date.
Some of the topics that will be covered in the Labour and Birth class include:
- How to tell when you are in labour
- How to make your labour & delivery more comfortable
- Pain relief options
- What to expect during labour & delivery
- Role of labour support
The Cesarean Birth class will include:
- Reasons for a scheduled cesarean
- Signs of early labour and what to do
- What to expect through the entire cesarean process: from pre-op to birth
- Postpartum care for cesarean birth
- Identify ways to increase the postpartum experience
- Getting off to a positive start with breastfeeding
The Postpartum and Baby Care class topics include:
- Know what to expect during the immediate postpartum period
- Understand routine newborn procedures
- Learn about current recommended safe sleep guidelines
- Recognize the different between baby blues and postpartum depression
- Identify ways to increase postpartum comfort for mom
The Prenatal Breastfeeding workshop is taught by an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) and will cover these topics:
- The anatomy of the human breast and breast changes that occur during pregnancy that are important for breastfeeding.
- Understand the benefits of exclusive breastfeeding.
- Know how to set yourself up for an abundant milk supply, learn the technique of hand expression.
- Understand baby's cues for feeding and identify how to tell if your baby is getting enough milk.
- Troubleshoot and identify potential breastfeeding concerns.
- Know when and where to seek help.
Your Body after Baby Prenatal Class – A Physiotherapy Approach to Postpartum Recovery workshop includes:
- Learn about the pelvic floor muscles and how to help them recover.
- Know what to expect in the early postpartum period.
- Have strategies to manage postpartum issues that may arise.
- Know what exercises you can start right after birth and how to progress them over the next few weeks.
- Know when and how to seek help or advice around your recovery.
For more information, download a copy of the Virtual Prenatal Workshops Flyer.
To REGISTER, please visit Eventbrite for available sessions and times.
If you are interested in booking a private one to one workshop with one of our instructors, or for more information, please email email@example.com. Please note that private workshops are $180 per workshop.
Feedback from parents:
“It's much easier to do it from home rather than being in a hurry to be on time somewhere, especially when you have a small kid at home and your husband needs to go to work. So it worked perfectly! My daughter was sleeping while I was doing the workshop.”
“It was less stressful for a pregnant couple rather than going to the hospital during this pandemic situation. Because it was one to one, I got to know the nurse better and ask so many more private questions, which I might not ask if that was a group session. Also, my husband could participate and engage better.”
“The Zoom workshop worked well for me and my husband as we were able to pick our own date and time that worked for our schedule and didn’t have to commute from Squamish and pay for parking for an in-person class. We really appreciate SPH staff going above and beyond to fit needs of the population during the pandemic. Beyond amazing!”