Rotary Hearing Clinic
The St. Paul’s Rotary Hearing Clinic is the referral centre for patients in BC with complex ear and hearing-related disorders. The clinic offers advanced diagnostic services for patients with both hearing and balance disorders, as well as advanced management clinics for patients with tinnitus and balance disorders. Areas of active research include:
- Alternative means of assessing normal and abnormal balance function.
- Innovative ways to improve balance of patients with balance disorders.
- Cellular mechanisms of tumour formation in benign tumours in the ear (acoustic neuroma).
- Psychological impact on patients with tinnitus.
Adult Cochlear Implant Program
The adult cochlear implant program is a part of the Rotary Hearing Clinic at St. Paul’s Hospital. The program provides full cochlear implant services to over 400 adults from across British Columbia and the Yukon. A cochlear implant is a medical device to improve hearing. It helps people who have a significant hearing loss and who cannot be helped by regular hearing aids. Cochlear Implants may help people who:
- Have a severe to profound sensorineural hearing loss in both ears.
- Get little or no help from well-fitted hearing aids.
- Want to be part of the hearing world.
- Understand what a cochlear implant can and cannot do.
- Are willing and able to learn how to use the cochlear implant.
- Are healthy enough to have the cochlear implant surgery.
If you want to explore whether a cochlear implant is right for you, ask your doctor, audiologist, or hearing aid provider to refer you to our program. We will send you our “Cochlear Implant Questionnaire” which asks you about your hearing loss. Your audiologist or hearing aid provider must:
- Test your hearing.
- Check that your hearing aids are working properly.
- Fill out our ‘Hearing Aid Check’ form and return it to our clinic.
- Once we have received this information, we contact you to make an appointment.
Location and Contact
St. Paul’s Rotary Hearing Clinic
Providence 2, St. Paul’s Hospital
1081 Burrard Street
Vancouver, BC, V6Z 1Y6
Dr. Brian Westerberg
Head, Division of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
PHC Medical Care Team Member