We ensure research activities are aligned with Providence’s priority care programs.
The majority of PHCRI researchers have appointments at the University of British Columbia (UBC) and Simon Fraser University (SFU), two of the largest academic institutions in the Lower Mainland of British Columbia.
Our researchers and programs actively explore areas of research to improve the health of the patients and residents cared for at our site and across the province of British Columbia.
At PHCRI, our expertise includes laboratory, clinical, and epidemiological research in the fields of HIV/AIDS, heart disease, renal disease, addictions, gastro-intestinal diseases, psychiatry, geriatrics and much more.
We believe this research not only makes for a robust learning environment, but also leads to better patient care. The integration of research, education and care is what makes the PHCRI mission possible.
A place where patient-centred research is driven by social justice, and redefines better health and care globally.
Inspired by the need for health and wellness of patients and communities, Providence Research integrates teaching, knowledge creation and translation to discover and deliver disease prevention and dramatically improve care.
PHCRI shares the same values as Providence Health Care:
- Spirituality – We nurture the God-given creativity, love and compassion that dwells within us all.
- Integrity – We build our relationships on honesty, justice and fairness.
- Stewardship – We share accountability for the well-being of our community.
- Trust – We behave in ways that promote safety, inclusion and support.
- Excellence – We achieve excellence through learning and continuous improvement.
- Respect – We respect the diversity, dignity and interdependence of all persons.
Our priority research areas include:
- Heart, lung and blood vessel.
- Kidney risks and illnesses.
- Urban health (vulnerable populations).
- Seniors’ health.
- Mental health.