Operations Research Scientist
SummaryOperations Research and Analytics (ORA) is an emerging innovative team within the Health Informatics Department at Providence Healthcare (PHC). The team is committed to design, develop, and deploy state-of-the-art analytical solutions and applications driven by optimization, simulation, and machine learning methods. Scope of the work is diverse and touches on a wide variety of challenges in the health sector, such as the patient flow management, patient scheduling, capacity planning, inventory management, and others.
Reporting to the Manager, Operation Research and Analytics (ORA), the Operations Research Scientist develops, operationalizes, and monitors applied computerized and analytical models to support operational and strategic decision-making at PHC. The position will collaborate with data scientists, solution architects, and business intelligence analysts and will deliver business value in close partnership with stakeholders from Operations, Finance, IT, and Business Leadership. The Operations Research Scientist will also stay apprised of current trends and research on all aspects of advanced analytic techniques and works in collaboration with provincial and national colleagues.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Optimization, Simulation, Algorithm Design, and Machine Learning gained through practical application.
• Coding proficiency in Python and knowledge in using data science and optimization and simulation frameworks and packages such as Numpy, Pandas, Gurobi, CPLEX, SimPy, Simio.
• Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in an interdisciplinary environment and to develop solutions using facilitation and consensus building.
• Demonstrated understanding of the Canadian health system and knowledge of common healthcare datasets.
• Effective verbal and written communication skills, with competency in writing reports, and explaining findings and making presentations to clients and stakeholders.
• Demonstrated ability to organize work and set priorities.
• Physical ability to perform the duties of the job.
EducationMaster’s Degree in Operations Research, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Industrial Engineering or other related technical discipline and at least five (5) years’ experience working with databases and data analysis tools, two (2) years’ of which must be in designing, implementing, and testing analytic and/or algorithmic solutions to business or operational problems, and with simulation, optimization, database, and spreadsheet software applications. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience would also be considered. Experience in the health care sector would be an asset.
Duties1. Design, develop and lead the implementation of cloud or on premises analytics solutions by applying expertise in operations research, simulation, optimization and applied machine learning techniques.
2. Develops improvements to workflows and clinical decision-making in various programs and services (e.g., surgical, medicine, emergency, lab, long term care, etc.) by researching, innovating, developing, and evaluating algorithms and prototypes.
3. Participates as part of multi-disciplinary teams to contribute to research and development with new business models for solutions and services.
4. Delivers high-quality innovations to the business with performance validated on datasets from customers and clinical collaborators.
5. Creates, communicates, and manages the project plans and other required project documentation and provide updates to leadership as necessary.
6. Works in close collaboration with other members of the Data Analytics and Health Informatics teams to develop and implement innovative solutions that address pressing operational and clinical challenges within the organization. Works with external colleagues provincially and nationally to improve understanding of wider issues and develop scalable/applicable solutions.
7. Prepares reports and presents findings and proposed solutions to clinical leaders and stakeholders. Leverages those opportunities to identify new areas where solutions may be required.
8. Develops and maintains relationships with clinical leaders and stakeholders in various programs and services (e.g., surgical, medicine, emergency, lab, long term care, etc.) to facilitate collaboration and effective communication. Works together to identify clinical problems, design research/studies, and develop and implement clinical solutions.
9. Supports management in the development of strategies for scaling successful projects across the organization based on feedback from clinical/business clients and end-users by maintaining project and other documentation, reviewing findings, and presenting analysis and actionable insights for further discussion and decision.
10. Performs other duties as required.
Employees of Providence Health Care receive an excellent and comprehensive health benefit package, as per their collective agreement or terms and conditions of employment.
*Other benefit packages may apply if this is an affiliate posting.
Parkview is located on the 4th/5th floors of Youville Residence on Heather St. in Vancouver BC. The Parkview program provides care for residential clients with severe and persistent psychiatric illness.…
Featured Job Categories
- BC Centre on Substance Use (BCCSU)
- Biomedical Engineering
- Cardiac Sonographer
- Centre for Gender and Sexual Health Equity - CGSHE
- Clinical and Systems Transformations (CST)
- Critical Care Nurse
- Educational Opportunities for Nurses
- Emergency Nurse
- Health Care Analyst
- Health Information Management
- Healthcare Administrative and Clerical
- Healthcare Management
- Heart Centre
- Indigenous Wellness and Reconciliation
- Long Term Care
- Maternity/NICU Nurse
- Mental Health
- Nurse Practitioner
- Operating Room Nurse
- Registered Nurse
- Rehabilitation Professionals
- Renal Nurse
- The New St. Paul's Project