SummaryReporting to the Energy Manager, the Energy Specialist provides technical leadership and support regarding the management and analysis of energy data and information for Providence Health Care, including energy audits and consumption assessments; manages assigned projects including the measuring and reporting of key performance indicators and benchmarks; prepares business reports, memos, proposals, business cases and presentations to the Energy Manager or Executive Director to identify best practices, generate consistent and comparable data across the Organizations and identify economies of scale to ensure optimal efficiency of the department and use of resources; identifies key energy issues and assumptions to facilitate the process and procedures to enable the accurate and timely completion of the annual planning process, approvals and implementation of changes to the operating and project plan; conducts financial, statistical, technical and workload analysis and research to track and monitor energy related projects, identifies variances and liaises with relevant stakeholders regarding changes to accommodate shifts in funding levels and/or identify remedial action.
Skills• Demonstrated ability to support projects by providing sound technical and process management expertise.
• Demonstrated problem solving capabilities by identifying issues and analyzing alternatives to provide decision support.
• Demonstrated ability to provide needs analysis and support to internal users and consultants.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively under time pressures, meet deadlines, balance work priorities, and resolve problems in a timely manager.
• Proven abilities to exercise initiative and sound judgement with the ability to work independently and manage components of large engagements.
• Excellent decision-making skills with the ability to provide insight and analysis to influence decision-making and support interdisciplinary teams.
• Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain rapport with staff and other stakeholders.
• Demonstrated ability to operate related equipment including related software applications.
• Physical ability to perform the duties of the job.
EducationBachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, Building, Construction Management, Electrical Engineering, Business, Facilities Management, Mechanical Engineering, Operations Management plus a certificate in sustainable energy management, supplemented with one (1) to three (3) years’ recent related experience in an energy support role, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Duties1. Gathers and completes data entry and review of utility data (electricity, natural gas, fuel oil, as well as water and sewer) as a foundational task of the Energy Management Program.
2. Supports quarterly and annual energy and carbon reporting processes and deliverables.
3. Gathers, monitors and reports on items such as energy audits and consumption assessments and provides financial, statistical, technical and workload analysis to drive energy management initiatives and sustainability projects.
4. Assesses energy and consumption baselines and reports on the effectiveness of various energy initiatives; identifies opportunities for energy conservation projects and makes recommendations to the Energy Manager.
5. Manages assigned projects including measuring and reporting key performance indicators and benchmarks; forwards information to internal and external stakeholders for discussion.
6. Participates in the development of internal and external energy and sustainability strategies to support facility specific and organizational wide initiatives; develops business cases, reports and proposals for energy conservation and conducts related data analysis to identify best practices and to generate comparable data across Providence Health Care’s property portfolio.
7. Provides technical support, planning and expertise to energy initiatives and participates on energy management and sustainability teams, committees and working groups; supports training and on-going coaching for employee awareness programs.
8. Provides expertise regarding third party sponsored programs for energy conservation and efficiency initiatives and supports the Providence Health Care’s participation in these programs.
9. Consults with stakeholders to research, prepare and support development of energy awareness programs and initiatives; identifies key energy issues to facilitate the accurate and timely completion of the annual planning for energy conservation initiatives and projects including recommendations for changes.
10. Solicits and monitors internal and external feedback related to energy reduction efforts and recommends solutions; collaborates with the regional Energy & Environmental Sustainability team to encourage linkages with other health organizations Facilities Management teams; gathers data and monitors performance of energy initiatives.
11. Assists in the implementation of projects to ensure project adherence and action timelines; assists the Energy Manager in any other energy efficiency and conservation related initiatives and projects.
12. Performs other duties as required.
Employees of Providence Health Care receive an excellent and comprehensive health benefit package, as per their collective agreement or terms and conditions of employment.
*Other benefit packages may apply if this is an affiliate posting.
This job can work remotely with a periodic need to come in to cover special events.
Featured Job Categories
- BC Centre on Substance Use (BCCSU)
- Biomedical Engineering
- Human Resources
- Clinical and Systems Transformations (CST)
- Critical Care Nurse
- Educational Opportunities for Nurses
- Emergency Nurse
- Health Care Analyst
- Health Information Management
- Healthcare Administrative and Clerical
- Healthcare Management
- Heart Centre
- Indigenous Wellness and Reconciliation
- Long Term Care
- Maternity/NICU Nurse
- Mental Health
- Nurse Practitioner
- Operating Room Nurse
- Primary Care
- Registered Nurse
- Rehabilitation Professionals
- Renal Nurse
- The New St. Paul's Hospital Project