Clinical Educator - Mental Health and Substance Use
This is an exciting opportunity for a seasoned Master’s level clinician with experience delivering Mental Health and Substance Use care. In this role you will be working closely with our Clinical Nurse Specialist and the Involuntary Admissions Teams at St. Paul’s Hospital, and Mount Saint Joseph Hospital to teach and mentor staff on best practice in supporting patients admitted under the B.C. Mental Health Act. If you are passionate about developing and implementing education to improve quality of care for patients in the MHSU continuum this is the role for you!
SummaryWithin the context of client and family-centered Recovery model, in accordance with established standards of professional practice, and vision and values of the organization, the Educator provides clinical education services including individual and group learning assessments, developing, implementing and evaluating clinical education programs and resources using specialized theory and knowledge of Mental Health and Addictions, as well as teaching and learning principles and processes. Consults, confers, and collaborates with program and team members as well as other Educators, in promotion of continuous quality improvement, resolution of clinical education issues, and coordination of activities required for progressive educational and clinical practice programs; takes corrective action with respect to individual and group learning needs.
- Knowledge of the principles of recovery in mental illness.
- Comprehensive knowledge of Trauma-Informed Practice.
- Comprehensive knowledge of Harm Reduction.
- Broad knowledge of the application of a Strengths-Based approach in MH and SU.
- Broad knowledge of evidence-based practice in psychology as it relates to MH & SU.
- Broad knowledge of therapeutic counselling theories, principles, and approaches.
- Knowledge of Psychosocial Rehabilitation methodology.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the principles, objectives, methods, techniques of education relevant to mental health care.
- Comprehensive knowledge of other health disciplines and their role in client care.
- Broad knowledge of research methodology and processes.
- Demonstrated ability to teach, demonstrate, facilitate and lead/coach.
- Demonstrated ability to use critical thinking in approach to teaching.
- Demonstrated ability to develop educational programs and material.
- Communicates effectively and in a culturally safe manner with client, caregivers and health care team, either one-on-one or in-groups.
- Demonstrated ability to function as an effective team member, leader, and facilitator.
- Demonstrated ability to provide leadership and work direction.
- Demonstrated ability to promote a creative learning environment.
- Demonstrated ability to establish workload priorities in collaboration with others.
- Demonstrated ability to provide effective consultation.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in collaboration with others.
- Physical ability to perform the duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Skill in the use of equipment and in techniques appropriate to designated clinical area.
- Demonstrated skill in CPR techniques.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
EducationMaster’s degree in a related, health science discipline from a recognized program. Three (3) years’ recent, related mental health and addictions experience including one (1) year’s experience developing, implementing and/or delivering education services, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience. Valid BC Drivers License as local area travel requires the use of a vehicle
** We are looking for Master’s Level Social Work (MSW), Occupational Therapy, or Clinical Counsellors **
- Assesses individual and group learning needs in collaboration with the Manager and designated personnel by observing activities, discussing clinical issues with the team members and/or clients/families, and analyzing data such as staff competency assessments and growth plans and/or charting Recovery plans, to support practice changes, and utilizing quality improvement indicators to determine specific educational requirements.
- Participates in the ongoing professional development as required. Addresses identified learning needs and skills by coordinating the development and implementation process with the Manager and designated personnel and ensuring there is a growth plan for each staff member. Monitors progress against competencies and updates on a yearly basis to support staff’s ability for achievement. Implements teaching/learning strategies that are congruent with the determined growth/learning plans.
- Utilizes educational/curriculum theory and knowledge of specialized clinical practice to design, develop, implement and evaluate clinical education programs for team members and/or clients/families in collaboration with the Manager and interdisciplinary team members; education programs include orientation/training programs for new team members, educational support programs, continuing education sessions and cross-cultural caring programs.
- Supports preceptors/preceptees, mentors/mentees and clinical programs using teaching and learning principles and a program planning and evaluation process to meet the identified educational needs of staff and/or clients/families and to ensure the achievement of specialized practitioners within the program/team.
- Develops, reviews and modifies learning resources for team members and/or clients/families using established educational standards, determining match between content and delivery method and providing feedback to other developers to ensure resources are current, relevant, cost effective and coordinated.
- Utilizes a variety of teaching/learning strategies to support clinical education activities with individuals and groups including facilitating groups, coaching, mentoring, conducting formal/informal presentations and demonstrations, coordinating introduction of new skills/procedures, arranging and providing in-service sessions and using educational technology and self-directed learning methods to implement planned programs. Facilitates scheduling of education sessions by collaborating with clients/families and/or team members to determine times, frequency, and duration to ensure effective use of resources; maintains records and identifies/schedules team member attendance at update sessions.
- Provides direct instruction to new and existing staff as required and facilitates learning by role modeling to staff, promoting skill development, observing staff while performing client care and providing feedback to ensure care is provided according to program standards and clinical practice guidelines.
- Facilitates learning by acting as a clinical resource and demonstrates expertise and leadership in clinical practice through methods such as reviewing literature and developments in technology and equipment, consulting with community experts, evaluating clinical practice systems/standards, identifying new theories/trends/education programs, developing new/revised standards and presenting educational sessions based upon specialized body of knowledge to enhance quality client care.
- Participates in the evaluation of the effectiveness of clinical education programs, activities and resources by analyzing learning outcomes using program/resource evaluation, learner behaviors, utilization statistics, and reviewing feedback to determine opportunities for quality improvement.
- Participates in quality improvement and risk management activities through methods such as evaluating affect of changes in client care practice, generating recommendations for alternative approaches, following up on incident reports, conducting safety audits and recommending changes to selected policies, procedures or protocols; drafts new and/or revised procedures, standards and criteria for the program in conjunction with the interdisciplinary team and client/family. Initiates strategies to improve client care using principles of continuous quality improvement to promote delivery of high quality educational services.
- Participates in interdisciplinary team meetings as a clinical education resource person by providing input and suggestions related to education implications and group processes of new initiatives to ensure that clinical educational needs are addressed. Documents educational process and utilization statistics by maintaining database and records, and by providing written and verbal reports to demonstrate accountability and to continuously improve the quality of clinical education services.
- Provides consultation to staff regarding professional development, clinical education and/or career planning by maintaining interpersonal contact and observation, providing verbal and written feedback for the individual to continue competency development, meeting with team members on a one-to-one basis and recommending educational programs/resources and facilitating development of learning and/or professional growth plans.
- Participates in students’ clinical experience by collaborating with the Manager, and other team members in the assignment of preceptors to students in conjunction with community training program.
- Supports and guides team members in collaboration with peers and others in resolution of moral/ethical client or team issues and conflict situations through methods such as utilizing advanced communication skills and providing educational support. Participates in interdisciplinary rounds and client care conferences with the client/family and assists in adapting care/treatment plans to address identified issues. Acts as client advocate to protect and promote the client’s right to autonomy, respect, dignity, privacy and access to information.
- Ensures own clinical currency by incorporating clinical experience within a plan for ongoing professional growth.
- Participates in approved interdisciplinary research and special projects through methods such as identifying research topics/issues, promoting staff awareness and involvement in research activities, supporting evidence-based practice and gathering and summarizing data to improve education and clinical effectiveness.
- Sets measurable goals and objectives within a team environment, incorporating the organization’s vision and values, goals and corporate plan, through methods such as maintaining and updating own knowledge with area of practice, and develops a plan in collaboration with designated personnel/team for professional development. Reviews progress to ensure that goals are achieved within established timeframes.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Employees of Providence Health Care receive an excellent and comprehensive health benefit package, as per their collective agreement or terms and conditions of employment.
*Other benefit packages may apply if this is an affiliate posting.
We are currently seeking RNs for the Gastrointestinal (GI) Clinic located at St. Paul’s Hospital. If you having nursing experience in the operating room, emergency room, or on a surgical unit, we want to hear from you!
Featured Job Categories
- BC Centre on Substance Use (BCCSU)
- Biomedical Engineering
- Cardiac Sonographer
- Clinical and Systems Transformations (CST)
- Critical Care Nurse
- Educational Opportunities for Nurses
- Emergency Nurse
- Health Care Analyst
- Health Information Management
- Healthcare Administrative and Clerical
- Healthcare Management
- Heart Centre
- Indigenous Wellness and Reconciliation
- Long Term Care
- Maternity/NICU Nurse
- Mental Health
- Nurse Practitioner
- Operating Room Nurse
- Primary Care
- Registered Nurse
- Rehabilitation Professionals
- Renal Nurse
- The New St. Paul's Project