Want to learn more about research? Got a question from your clinical practice?
PHC launches its 6th annual Practice-based Research Challenge. The Research Challenge is an annual competition open to front-line PHC staff. You and your team members have the opportunity to work with a mentor to develop a research proposal around your research question. You'll learn basic research skills and compete with other teams for some funding to conduct your small-scale research project.
For more information, contact Aggie Black (Research Leader) or download the following:
- Research Challenge 2016 Announcement
- Research Challenge 2016 Guidelines and FAQs
- Research Challenge 2016 Letter of Intent (Short Application Form)
PHC Innovation and Translational Research Award
PHC is launching a new funding opportunity to support new or existing research projects led by PHC health care professionals and researchers. The intent of this competition is to fund research that will:
- bring new knowledge into practice and/or policy
- take research outcomes to the implementation stage, or create commercial opportunities from pre-existing research outcomes
Applicants for this award should demonstrate in their proposal that the outcomes for their research project will meet at least one of the following criteria:
- can be applied to improvements in patient care and/or the health care system
- will lead to potential collaborations
- will enable successful local, provincial, and/or national grant funding
- will create commercial opportunities
A minimum of one award of no less than $25,000 and to a maximum of $50,000 will be given in 2014. PHC will continue this award(s) in 2015 in partnership with the VCH Research Institute.
This project is supported jointly by the Providence Health Care Research Institute and the office of the VP, Quality, Patient Safety and Innovation, and Chief of Professional Practice and Nursing, Providence Health Care.
Who Can Apply
This competition is open to clinicians and researchers throughout PHC’s health care and research facilities and includes any individual or team involved with patient care and/or research. The Principal Investigator (PI) must meet both of the following criteria:
- Hold a PhD or MD, and/or be a PHC health care professional (NB: medical residents, research associates, post-doctoral fellows, and clinical/research fellows are not eligible for this competition).
- Conduct most of his/her work at a PHC site
Co-investigators could include other individuals as appropriate for the particular project being proposed. It is expected that individuals listed as co-investigators will also contribute to the intellectual content of the research project.
Submission Process and Deadlines
All participants are required to fill out a brief registration form indicating their intention to submit an application and briefly describing their team and project idea, and submit by email to Karen McDowell at email@example.com.
Applications must be written in clear language (no jargon) and must include the following sections:
- Grant Cover Sheet (download template here)
- Research Module
- Research Proposal (4 page maximum)
- PHC Program/Department Manager Statement of Support (required for all PHC health care professional PIs)
- Abridged CV (required for PI, co-PI, and all Co-investigators) - use Innovation Award CV template
- Appendices (optional)
Notification of awards will occur in February 2015. Funds will be released to the successful applicants as soon as the required ethics and PHC approvals have been obtained.
The following forms are available for download:
- Overview and Guidelines
- Application Guidelines
- Abridged Innovation Award CV template
- Registration Form
- Research Module
- Statement of Support
For more information on this competition, such as eligible expenses and the review process, please see Overview and Guidelines.
Aggie Black, Research Leader
604-682-2344 ext. 66124
Karen McDowell, Executive Assistant
Providence Health Care Research Institute
Dianne Doyle, President & CEO, and Geoff Plant, Chair, PHC Board of Directors