Evidence-based nutritional care and education.
Clinical dietitians at Providence are registered with the College of Dietitians of BC as registered dietitians (RD). Clinical dietitians collaborate with the interdisciplinary health care teams to provide evidence-based, patient and family centered nutrition management and education for patients and residents. They also participate in outpatient and outreach clinics, provide in-services to other staff as needed, and participate in research activities.
Many dietitians are experts in their area of specialty and act as resources for dietitians and other health professionals outside of Providence. Providence Clinical Nutrition is designated as one of the core practicum sites for the University of British Columbia Dietetics Program and provides practical training for dietetic students.
The objectives of Clinical Nutrition Services are to:
- Provide nutrition assessment, intervention, and education to patients and residents.
- Ensure nutrition needs of patients and residents are met by the meals and snacks provided.
- Provide evidence-based medical nutrition therapy.
- Participate with the health care team to provide patient and resident care.
- Liaise with the community to ensure continuity of patient and resident care.
- Act as a resource for the health care team and other health care professionals.
- Ensure standards are met through quality assurance activities.
- Participate in research activities that will contribute to nutrition knowledge and patient and resident care.
- Support the education of students and dietetic interns.
- Maintain awareness and knowledge of current nutrition information and issues.
- Promote healthy eating principles throughout PHC and the community it serves.
Clinical dietitians provide nutrition care and education in acute care, residential and rehabilitation services throughout Providence, including specialized inpatient and outpatient care in the following areas:
- Adult Cystic Fibrosis
- Cardiac/Healthy Heart
- Critical Care
- Eating Disorders
- Elder Care
- Urban Health and HIV
- Mental Health
- Nutrition Support, including Home Enteral/Parenteral Nutrition
- Outpatient Nutrition Counselling
For further information, please contact:
- Urban Health
- Mental Health
- Seniors' Services
- Hospital + Residential Services
- Outpatient Programs + Clinics
- Health Care Support Services
- Additional Services
Dianne Doyle, President & CEO, and Geoff Plant, Chair, PHC Board of Directors