Appointment of new Providence Health Care President & CEO
Following an exhaustive national and international search, Providence Health Care is excited to announce its new President & Chief Executive Officer, Fiona Dalton. With 23 years’ experience in the health care field, Fiona has a proven track record in leading complex and varied health organizations. From 2013 to present, she has been the Chief Executive Officer of University Hospital Southampton NHS (National Health Service) Foundation Trust in the UK – a renowned academic health sciences centre with 10,000 employees and an annual budget of over £680 million (approx. $1.2B CDN).
During her tenure at the University Hospital Southampton, Fiona has lead and overseen numerous strategic transformation and improvement initiatives, including:
- the development and launch of a new values-based organizational vision;
- being nationally recognized for improving quality and safety;
- improving hospital performance and patient outcomes;
- enhancing research performance and leading the successful application with the University of Southampton to become one of the national Biomedical Research Centres and supporting the new Southampton Centre for Cancer Immunology (£25m or about $43 million Cdn);
- leading successful staff health and well-being strategies;
- focusing on quality improvement, innovation and digital services (being recognised nationally through the award of the Global Digital Exemplar (£10m or $17 million Cdn) monies for our informatics programme); and
- Fiona also delivered a successful capital program, improving and expanding her organization’s facilities for patient care, research and education, with academic, commercial and charitable partners.
She has a BA Honours in Human Sciences from Queen’s College, Oxford University, and received an Honorary Degree of Doctor of Science by the University of Southampton in July 2017, in recognition of her work in Southampton. Some of Fiona’s previous roles have included serving as the Chief Operating Officer and Interim CEO of the Great Ormond Street Hospital NHS Foundation Trust from 2008 to 2013; Executive Director of Strategy and Business Development, at Southampton University Hospitals NHS Trust from 2005 to 2008; and Divisional Director, Responsible for Surgery, Cancer, Critical Care, Neurosciences, Theatres & Anaesthetics, at Oxford Radcliffe Hospitals NHS Trust, 2000 to 2004.
Her varied experience, sectoral knowledge, strategic acuity, respectful communication style, personable character and clarity of thinking made it evident she was an outstanding candidate during the recruitment phase. As well, Fiona’s emphasis on people, collaboration, organizational culture, personal and organizational values, and a strict commitment to performance excellence, with focus on staff/physician engagement and patient involvement was equally impressive.
Fiona has initiated the process of transitioning out of her current employment and moving to Vancouver from the UK. The complex transition requires several steps that will impact when she can move to Vancouver and begin her duties at Providence. As we continue to work through the logistics, we will have more clarity on Fiona’s start-date timeline.
A very special thank you to Dianne Doyle, current President & CEO, for continuing to serve our Mission through this transition phase. As she has done all her career, Dianne’s commitment toward this transition has been exemplary. She has committed to staying on until Fiona begins to ensure a smooth transition.