Senior Manager, Design and Project Delivery - The New St. Paul's Project (NSP)
The Technical Design & Construction workstream within the St. Paul’s Hospital Redevelopment team is looking for a Senior Manager to have oversight of all onsite construction activities and will lead and coordinate the City of Vancouver rezoning, infrastructure, and subdivision work on the Owner’s behalf. This candidate must have construction oversight experience as well as a high level of competence reviewing technical specifications and construction documentation. This is a Design Build contract and will therefore require stakeholder engagement through the design development process and a progressive review of construction documentation and shop drawings. The Technical Design & Construction workstream is a high functioning group that requires highly motivated people who thrive in a collaborative team environment with a whatever-it-takes attitude to achieve project goals.
The new St. Paul’s Hospital and health campus will be the most innovative approach to the delivery of integrated care in B.C. and Canada, designed to appropriately address the future health needs of patients, families and our communities. From hospital care to primary and community health solutions, the new St. Paul’s will continue to lead innovations in care, research and teaching.
Reporting to the Associated Project Director Design Build, the Senior Manager, Design & Project Delivery is responsible for implementing the overall design, planning, implementation and delivery of the SPH Redevelopment Project. The position provides leadership, oversees and manages all facility related activities (non-clinical) of the SPH Redevelopment Project (the Project) including project management, budget control, contract negotiation, dispute resolution and oversight of projects and project teams from design through to construction and commissioning including directing and managing consultant teams. Ensures the delivery of services to meet the goals, objectives, and strategic directions of the Project and Providence Health Care (PHC).
1. Supports the Associated Project Director Design Build and acts as a key member of the Project Team, contributing to the effective management of the Project by overseeing the effective delivery of approved capital projects consistent with the Project’s and PHC’s strategic master plans.
2. Leads planning, transition and commissioning initiatives from development through to implementation. Ensures evaluation processes and risk mitigation strategies are in place throughout the Project to identify and address risks early in the life cycle of project elements.
3. Develops facility designs and specifications incorporating appropriate layouts, space allocations, signage, way-finding systems and equipment requirements. Provides capital project leadership within a dynamic health care environment on all facility designs, developments, and construction issues. Negotiates technical contract provisions and establishes requirements and timely approvals for related projects and ensures development, building and other related permits / approvals are obtained and in place.
4. Applies technical expertise to advise and assist management to achieve its vision and strategic direction through the development of Programming and Capital Submission Requirements to the Government.
5. Develops and implements project goals and objectives for assigned area of responsibility, ensuring the delivery of effective and efficient services.
6. Develops, plans, implements, manages, and adjusts budgets for the area of responsibility including budget preparation, authorization control and reporting of expenditures. Completes variance analyses of the allocated budgets. Maintains accountability and authority over assigned project budgets from design through to construction and commissioning. Reports significant problems and makes recommendations for budgetary adjustments.
7. Liaises with key internal and external stakeholders, including User Groups, to provide planning, design, construction updates, explain project parameters, or obtain feedback and input.
8. Develops the related work plan(s) and coordinates and manages the system design streams of work from sub-projects/ task groups as part of the overall integrated work plan.
9. Determines project team complement of assigned department and manages consultant teams to ensure effective performance of duties and an effective team environment.
10. Engages, directs and works with consultants and construction contractors to ensure that design and working drawings are consistent with planning and implementation process.
11. Updates knowledge of current and emerging hospital design and innovations through evidence-based design concepts. Assesses and responds to the impact of new design, technology and equipment and identifies opportunities to improve non-clinical services and processes.
12. Assesses and responds to the impact of new design, technology and equipment and identifies opportunities to improve non-clinical services and processes.
13. Ensures direct integration and coordination with the Associated Project Director Design Build.
14. Prepares reports for the Associated Project Director Design Build, the Project Steering Committee and project – related groups and provides timely updates on deliverable status and execution of major activities, issues, and risks.
15. Leads and participates on a variety of committees as required and establishes positive working relationships in order to ensure successful outcomes and cooperation from others on the project(s).
16. Performs other related duties as required.
A Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant discipline such as Architecture, Business Administration or Engineering, supplemented by a related professional designation plus seven (7) to ten (10) years’ experience in all phases of project planning and construction inclusive of supervisory experience, in a large complex organization such as health care; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience. Project Management Professional preferred.
Skills and Abilities
• Broad knowledge of the planning and construction processes associated with facilities development
• Comprehensive knowledge of health care and relevant government procedures, standards and requirements
• Advanced project management skills including demonstrated effectiveness in planning and coordinating major projects from conceptual design through construction completion
• Ability to provide leadership, guidance and direction to others including staff and contractors
• Strong negotiation, interpersonal and communication skills
• Ability to use appropriate strategies to resolve conflict and build consensus between stakeholders on critical issues
• Ability to anticipate and respond to changing priorities or unforeseen opportunities
• Ability to lead, guide and direct stakeholders including staff and contractors
• Ability to work effectively as part of a team
• Ability to analyze and problem-solve complex issues towards creative solutions
• Ability to organize and prioritize work and balance multiple activities concurrently
• Ability to productively use related systems and programs (such as word processing, spreadsheet, database, and project management software.
• Physical ability to perform the duties of the job.
Employees of Providence Health Care receive an excellent and comprehensive health benefit package, as per their collective agreement or terms and conditions of employment.
*Other benefit packages may apply if this is an affiliate posting.
The Technical Design & Construction workstream within the St.…
Featured Job Categories
- BC Centre on Substance Use (BCCSU)
- Biomedical Engineering
- Cardiac Sonographer
- Clinical and Systems Transformations (CST)
- Critical Care Nurse
- Emergency Nurse
- Educational Opportunities for Nurses
- Long Term Care
- Health Care Analyst
- Health Information Management
- Heart Centre
- Healthcare Management
- Maternity/NICU Nurse
- Mental Health
- Nurse Practitioner
- Operating Room Nurse
- The New St. Paul's Project
- Registered Nurse
- Rehabilitation Professionals
- Renal Nurse
- Healthcare Administrative and Clerical