Research Coordinator SHAWNA Qualitative Arts Based Research
Located in Vancouver, BC, the Centre for Gender & Sexual Health Equity is a UBC/SFU-affiliated academic research center housed at Providence Health Care. The CGSHE has a strategic mandate of community-based research, policy and practice to reduce gender and sexual health inequities among marginalized populations in BC, Canada and globally. The CGSHE currently consists of over 70 staff, including 10-12 academic and clinical researchers/ faculty, graduate students, and frontline research staff, working out of our CGSHE head office and our community-based research office in the Downtown Eastside. We work in a highly collaborative team and strive to hire members from diverse backgrounds and lived experience. We are looking for someone with strong experience in supervising and working with a diverse team of peer researchers, who has previous experience working with marginalized populations either in the context of research or service provision. This position will support the day-to-day activities of the SHAWNA Peer Research Team of cis and trans women living with HIV, oversee peer-based qualitative and arts-based research activities, and knowledge translation efforts. Experience with arts-based research methods including digital story telling is an asset. If you have strong experience working with marginalized populations and community-based research we want to hear from you. In order to be considered for this position, please include your resume and cover letter in one document.
SummaryReporting to the Principle Investigator, the Research Coordinator coordinates and conducts research activities for quantitative and/or qualitative/arts-based methods research studies and research-related projects. The Research Coordinator is responsible for overseeing and at times conducting quantitative and, semi-structured qualitative/arts-based research interviews with study participants. Duties include coordinating research activities such as supervising and/or mentoring interviewers and other research staff, collecting research data, maintaining research records, and contributing to the management and analysis of quantitative and qualitative/arts-based data. The Research Coordinator prepares ethics applications and submissions, partakes in the design and creation of communications and public relations tools, manages the consent process and prepares, writes and maintains reports and study documentation. The research coordinator liaises with community stakeholders to facilitate knowledge translation and build awareness about research and facilitate and maintain research capacity.
- A level of education, training and experience equivalent to a Masters degree in Social Sciences, Nursing, Health Sciences, or related field;
- Minimum of two years’ experience of related professional experience in a health research setting;
- Experience in organizing, coordinating, and managing research projects and/or grant-based programs;
- Experience supervising data collection activities; and working with key affected populations in research activities, including women living with HIV and Indigenous persons.
- Certification in research ethics core principles and guidelines (e.g. TCPS-2).
- Clear understanding of the academic research process acquired through practical and/or academic experience.
- Strong understanding of quantitative and/or qualitative research methods, and experience collecting and reporting quantitative and qualitative data.
- Expertise in social justice, gender, sexual health, HIV/AIDS and marginalized populations, including women living with HIV, sex workers, indigenous and new immigrant/migrant communities, and/or gender/sexual minority populations.
- Strong knowledge of social determinants of health, intersectionality (i.e., the intersections of gender inequality, racialization, and socio-economic marginalization).
- An understanding of structural and institutional influences that shape the health of marginalized populations.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize workload, handle multiple assignments effectively and meet deadlines.
- Excellent project organization, implementation, and networking skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- An understanding of and sensitivity to diversity issues.
- Excellent research skills, with an ability to conduct basic analysis of research data.
- Demonstrated computer literacy with Microsoft Office suite and database management skills.
- Demonstrated skill and experience in event planning and grant application preparation.
- Strong analytical and planning skills.
- Ability to build effective teams.
- Coordinates development, implementation, and maintenance of research studies and projects; conducts research visits involving survey-based questionnaires /or qualitative/arts-based topic guides; and collects data for existing and future projects.
- Recruits research participants, manages the consent process, oversees and conducts research interviews (e.g., structured/semi-structured interviews).
- Supervises and/or mentors research staff (e.g., Interviewers, Trainees, Peer Research Assistants) by performing duties such as providing guidance and direction on study protocols/processes (e.g., the interview process, process or participant-related questions, managing participant-related changes, data entry), participating in the recruitment and selection of research staff, providing orientation and training, monitoring staff performance and providing feedback to the Principal Investigator(s).
- Designs and maintains databases and uses research software to analyze data, where applicable.
- Prepares data files evaluating the quality of the data and describing its structure, overseeing data entry procedures, and identifying ways to validate data and enhancing quality control of data.
- Writes interview guides, operating procedures, study-related reports, study documents and ethics applications and submissions as well as maintains ethics approvals and liaises with Research Ethics Boards as needed.
- Assists the Principal Investigators, and Financial Coordinator with various administrative tasks associated with the day-to-day operations of research studies including paying stipends to participants, keeping record of payment, maintaining study documentation (paper and electronic), etc.
- Supports, develops and evaluates strategies that encourage community participation in research and research-related activities.
- Liaises with community stakeholders to facilitate knowledge translation to and/or between a wide range of organization activities and groups.
- Contributes to the design and creation of communications and public relations tools about research studies (e.g. flyers, posters, other materials) in order to recruit participants; coordinates meetings among community, staff, research teams, and support staff.
- Conducts health related work which includes referrals to relevant programs, agencies, service providers and disease prevention programs for participants as needed and appropriate.
- Provides education and employment referrals, training, advice and support for community agencies.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Employees of Providence Health Care receive an excellent and comprehensive health benefit package, as per their collective agreement or terms and conditions of employment.
*Other benefit packages may apply if this is an affiliate posting.
The Perioperative Nursing Education program will run between July 8-Dec 20, 2019. This is an employer-paid education program. Successful applicants are expected to complete and pass the unpaid online AORN pre-requisite before beginning the Perioperative Nursing Program in July.
Featured Job Categories
- BC Centre On Substance Use - BCCSU
- Biomedical Engineering
- Cardiac Sonographer
- Clinical and Systems Transformations (CST)
- Critical Care Nurse
- Emergency Nurse
- Educational Opportunities for Nurses
- Foundry - BC Integrated Youth Services Initiative (BC-IYSI)
- Geriatric Nurse
- Health Care Analyst
- Health Information Management
- Heart Centre
- Leaders and Corporate Services
- Maternity/NICU Nurse
- Mental Health
- Operating Room Nurse
- PHC Redevelopment
- Registered Nurse
- Rehabilitation Professionals
- Renal Nurse
Providence in the Park Volunteer