Cardiac Exercise Leader
The Healthy Heart Program is a hospital-based cardiac rehabilitation and prevention program aimed at patients who have had a recent heart attack or bypass surgery or who are at risk of having a heart attack. The program is designed to provide a bridge between the hospital and the community. This casual role covers vacations and sick calls. The shifts could potentially be Monday to Thursday: 1130-1630/ 1400-1900/ 0630-1430 depending on whose line you’re covering. You would be working alongside a physician, RNs, and exercise specialists in a group fitness setting.
SummaryReporting to the Coordinator of the Health Heart Program, and receiving work direction from the Exercise Specialists and Registered Nurses, assists program participants with the implementation of their cardiac exercise prescription and leads cardiac rehabilitation group exercise activities. Cleans and maintains related exercise equipment. Creates educational displays and maintains supply of pamphlets and brochures. Completion of the Basic Cardiac Life Support Course, Level C.
SkillsAbility to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing. Ability to deal with others effectively. Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position. Ability to organize work. Ability to operate related equipment.
- Successful completion of the British Columbia Recreation and parks Association Fitness Theory, Exercise to Music, and weight Training Modules.
- Current C.P.R. certified by the Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology as a Standard Test of Fitness Appraiser (STFA), plus
- one year recent related experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Assists the participants in the Healthy Heart Program with pre-established exercise program/prescription.
- Provides general fitness tips for the patients. Assists the Exercise Specialist and Registered Nurse in monitoring patients during class, logging equipment and workload settings and participant responses to exercise such as heart rate, blood pressure and Rating of Perceived Exertion.
- Leads warm up and cool downs for the exercise classes. Assists the Exercise Specialist with the set up and progression of weight training and strength development programs for the patients.
- Reports objective signs of progress, behaviour, response and reported symptoms to Exercise Specialist and/or Registered Nurse.
- Prepares patient for exercise sessions by setting up and initiating telemetry and/or polar heart rate monitoring.
- Reports medical and physical concerns to the Exercise Specialist, the Registered Nurse or the Medical Director. Demonstrates safe use of equipment to patients and teaches them how to record/monitor their effort and response to exercise.
- Coordinates the Healthy Heart educational session by scheduling speakers, introducing speakers, collecting evaluation forms, and ensuring the room is set up according to the needs of the speakers.
- Maintains supply of materials needed in exercise and telemetry area by completing requisitions for equipment maintenance and forwarding to the Program Coordinator for signature.
- Performs routine cleaning and maintenance of the equipment according to established guidelines.
- Assists the Registered Nurse, the Exercise Specialist, and the Program Coordinator in the orientation of new staff and students as required.
- Prepares physical environment before and after classes to ensure that the equipment is ready to be utilized.
- Attends weekly staff meetings and provides suggestions to Program Coordinator for changes or improvements.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Employees of Providence Health Care receive an excellent and comprehensive health benefit package, as per their collective agreement or terms and conditions of employment.
*Other benefit packages may apply if this is an affiliate posting.
This TPT position works in our CCU (Coronary Care Unit/Cardiac ICU) in the Heart Centre at St. Paul’s Hospital.
Featured Job Categories
- BC Centre On Substance Use - BCCSU
- Biomedical Engineering
- Cardiac Sonographer
- Clinical and Systems Transformations (CST)
- Critical Care Nurse
- Emergency Nurse
- Educational Opportunities for Nurses
- Foundry - BC Integrated Youth Services Initiative (BC-IYSI)
- Geriatric Nurse
- Health Care Analyst
- Health Information Management
- Heart Centre
- Leaders and Corporate Services
- Maternity/NICU Nurse
- Mental Health
- Nurse Practitioner
- Operating Room Nurse
- PHC Redevelopment
- Registered Nurse
- Rehabilitation Professionals
- Renal Nurse
Tiko Kerr, Vancouver Artist and patient of Dr. Julio Montaner