Business Intelligence (BI) Developer-Analyst
The BI Developer-Analyst will play a collaborative role on the Data Analytics team by developing and maintaining BI solutions for clinical and non-clinical programs at Providence Health Care (PHC). If you have a strong background in business analytics and project management, please read more about this exciting opportunity in the Health Informatics Department at PHC!
SummaryReporting to the Manager, Data Analytics and Reporting, the BI Developer-Analyst is responsible for developing and maintaining BI solutions, including Extract, Transform, Load (ETL), reports, dashboards, and analytical solutions to support effective use of data by PHC clinical and non-clinical programs, Senior Leadership Team (SLT) and other key stakeholders. Responsibilities include dashboard development, database development and monitoring, data modeling, data dictionary development and maintenance, application development, documentation, maintenance of users and user permission, performing routine periodic processing activities related to key decision support applications, participating in the design, writing, production, and documentation of standard and ad hoc queries and reports, problem identification, analyzing healthcare data and communicating the findings through the use of data visualization and storytelling. The BI Developer-Analyst works closely with colleagues to audit, identify and follow-up on issues related to data quality, metric definitions or process deficiencies. The BI Developer-Analyst acts as a key interface between Data Analytics Leads, Solutions Architect and the Data Analytics (Decision Support) teams at our partner organizations, as well as the Information Management, Information Technology (IM/IT) departments to ensure the solutions meet the business requirements and the technical specifications and adhere to team standards. This role requires a strong foundation in analytical methods, data warehousing, data visualization and statistics. The position requires access to detailed and confidential information of all types (clinical, financial, payroll, etc.).
Skills• Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Business Intelligence Stack, SSIS, SSAS, SSRS.
• Expert proficiency in Tableau and other Analytical and Reporting tools. Strong analytical/modeling skills with the ability to convert raw data into actionable business insights.
• Demonstrated knowledge of OLAP technologies and dimensional modeling.
• Strong background in data architecture, data quality, data mapping, and data structures.
• Strong understanding of database and business intelligence concepts.
• Proven ability to interpret data files and record layouts to map fields between multiple systems and database tables.
• Work effectively in an ETL framework driven environment with proven ability to prepare, maintain and publish ETL documentation, including source-to-target mappings and business-driven transformation rules.
• Strong understanding of business processes and transactional systems within the business domain.
• Demonstrated ability to understand and prioritize user and business requirements, and to conceptualize information processing solutions in response to them, including analyze, scope and define work effort required to correct program deficiencies and problems.
• Strong interpersonal relationship management skills, a team player with a client/user orientation.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills with demonstrated ability to effectively communicate complex ideas/processes in simple terminology to internal and external stakeholders, including all levels of management.
• Strong quantitative, analytical, and problem solving skills.
• Demonstrated attention to detail and maintaining high quality standards.
• Excellent organizational skills with proven ability to plan and execute complex projects.
• Ability to work to independently, meeting deadlines under pressure, with minimal supervision and frequent interruptions.
• Ability to teach, coach and mentor others.
• Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
EducationBachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Business Analytics, Statistics, Mathematics, Engineering or related field plus a minimum of five (5) years’ recent, related experience with data modeling, data visualization and reporting tools (specifically, Tableau, SAP Crystal Reports, SSRS and Power BI), ETL, Microsoft BI tools (SSAS, SSRS, and SSIS), advanced T-SQL (Microsoft Transact SQL) and analyzing business requirements or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Significant recent experience is also required in the following:
- business analysis and project management;
- coordinating and documenting the change management process for complex information systems;
- upgrading/migrating to SQL Server Platforms - SQL Server 2019;
- writing T-SQL;
- programming experience in C#, VB.net, Java, etc.
Duties1. Designs, develops and maintains dashboards, databases, ETL, reports and other BI content and analytical solutions as required. Works collaboratively with clients and business analysts to gather requirements, create definitions and specifications and translate into data models, ETL packages and reports as appropriate. Writes ad-hoc queries and reports to support analysts and leaders in data analysis.
2. Participates in the VCH/PHC regional and PHC local Data Warehouse development lifecycle including: planning, development, testing, migration and production support development activities.
3. Design, develop and support all extraction and integration processes (ETL).
4. Design and build interactive and static data visualizations to provide insights
5. Liaise with team members and/or other stakeholders to determine analytical solutions requirements including understanding inefficiencies in existing business applications and future business needs.
6. Extract, manipulate and analyze complex information from multiple data sources / systems using a variety of software (e.g., R, SQL, Python)
7. Conduct statistical analysis and hypothesis testing to improve forecasting, targeting and performance measurement
8. Assist with data-related technical challenges and perform root-cause analysis to answer specific business questions and recommend and implementing ways to improve data reliability, efficiency and quality.
9. Maintain a repository of metadata and lineage information about how data flows through its lifecycle.
10. Contribute to the development and documentation of data management standards framework.
11. In consultation with the Solutions Architect, provides input into the logical design and development of PHC Local Data Warehouse data models to be used for reporting and information delivery.
12. Collaborates with Database Administrators, Systems Analysts, and Solutions Architect to identify, analyze and rationalize internal and external data sources and ETL strategies.
13. Performs technical analysis and prepares and implements recommended ETL design approach.
14. Prepares and validates end-to-end business logic and mappings.
15. Develops, tests, documents and implements proposed analytical solutions (e.g., reports and dashboards).
16. Responds to ad-hoc, on-demand and scheduled business user information requests as they relate to services and support provided by the business groups.
17. Produces and maintains core PHC management reports, departmental dashboards and related management tools.
18. Adapts ETL processes as necessary to accommodate changes in source systems and target business user requirements.
19. Maintains and administers PHC organizational development key performance indicators data and reports.
20. Supports and maintains migration of data to data mart from source systems.
21. Develops, maintains and schedules ETL data flows/workflows/jobs, and provides daily support of these processes once implemented.
22. Works with business users to validate rules regarding data integrity and data quality as it relates to the impact on business needs.
23. Debugs, monitors and troubleshoots business solutions to resolve production issues.
24. Liaises with other IT Development and Operations departments to clarify and build applications that meet business unit objectives.
25. Administers security settings and access to the data mart and related systems.
26. Supports all business users with the use of data mart tools and in deployment activities such as user acceptance testing, user training, product demos and product evaluation.
27. Performs other duties as assigned.
Employees of Providence Health Care receive an excellent and comprehensive health benefit package, as per their collective agreement or terms and conditions of employment.
*Other benefit packages may apply if this is an affiliate posting.
Foundry, in partnership with BC Children’s Hospital and our partners, are launching a virtual care initiative to improve young people’s access to mental health and substance use supports and services.…
Featured Job Categories
- BC Centre on Substance Use (BCCSU)
- Biomedical Engineering
- Cardiac Sonographer
- Clinical and Systems Transformations (CST)
- Critical Care Nurse
- Emergency Nurse
- Educational Opportunities for Nurses
- Long Term Care
- Health Care Analyst
- Health Information Management
- Heart Centre
- Healthcare Management
- Maternity/NICU Nurse
- Mental Health
- Nurse Practitioner
- Operating Room Nurse
- The New St. Paul's Project
- Registered Nurse
- Rehabilitation Professionals
- Renal Nurse
- Healthcare Administrative and Clerical